Thursday 26 February 2015

Why female only spaces are so important for the victims of male violence.

I'm hosting this blog for a woman who doesn't have her own. She wants to remain anonymous.

It's very honest about the need for Women's Space. Please support her by telling me on twitter and I'm sure she will see. If anyone else would like to cross post just ask.

I applaud her bravery. Much love sister x

Why female only spaces are so important for the victims of male violence.

When I was 13 my dad knocked me unconscious. The following morning myself, my mum and my brother sneaked out the house to a local women’s refuge.  From there we were moved to refuge in another part of the country.
I’ll always be grateful for the care we were given there.  My mum was offered counselling and support, and I remember piling onto the minibus with the other children going to the cinema, ice skating, swimming.  It helped.
The rules on who could work at the refuge were strict.  Most of the women who worked there were lesbians.  Straight women could work there, but not if they were in a heterosexual relationship.  The doctor who came out to us was a woman.  Even boys over the age of 13 could not be admitted into the refuge.
I was actually quite horrified by the idea, that had my brother been a few years older, we would have had to leave him behind, or we’d have all stayed (we’d have all stayed –there is no way my mum would have left one of us).  That is until I looked back.
A few years later, my brother did hit puberty.  I had in the meantime experienced more violence –including being drugged by my father who was sent to prison for sexual assault.
I found it incredibly difficult to cope with my brother becoming a man. 
I became violent towards him.  I would scream at him of how he reminded me of my dad. 
I put him through hell.
My brother would never, ever, ever hurt me.
I understand now why my brother would not have been allowed into the refuge had he been older.  Because of the trauma of male violence, women need safe spaces –they need female safe spaces. Like many women and girls, I know this first hand. 

I also know that he didn’t deserve the shit I put him through.  Imagine if he’d have been in a house full of traumatised women and girls?  All scared of him?  Imagine the damage that would have done to everyone involved.